Al-Shabab claims responsibility for attack, saying that a fighter
“rammed a suicide car bomb” into the CID headquarters.
Two loud blasts, followed by heavy gunfire, have been heard in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu.
The al-Shabab group claimed responsibility for the attack on Sunday.
The Reuters news agency said seven people, including two attackers, had been killed, citing police.
“A fighter rammed a suicide car bomb into CID then other armed fighters stormed inside. We are now fighting inside the CID building,” Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabab’s military operations spokesman, told the Reuters news agency.
Somalia’s Internal Security Minister, Abdirizak Mohamed, tweeted: “After 2 explosions 3 AS attackers who tried to enter the CID were killed, no casualties on our forces, will update you on civilian casualties”
Twitter users posted images and footage of what appeared to be smoke billowing up over the city.
Al-Shabab group wants to topple the government and frequently attacks security forces and civilians.
Sunday’s blasts came less than a week after an attack on African Union troops near Mogadishu’s main airport that killed 13 people.
That attack was also claimed by al-Shabab.